... His majesty was enraged... like a lion
- assembled his court and gave a rousing speech
- Later he dreamed he saw Ptah handing him a sword and saying:
- "Take thou (it) and banish thou the fearful heart from thee"
When the enemy bowmen went forth
- says the inscription: "Amun was with him (pharaon) as a shield"
- After 6 hours the surviving Nine Bows threw down their weapons,
- abandoned their baggage and dependents, and ran for their lives
Merneptah states that he defeated the invasion:
- killing 6,000 soldiers &
- taking 9,000 prisoners.
To be sure of the numbers, he took
- the penises of all uncircumcised enemy dead &
- the hands of all the circumcised
- From which history learns that the Ekwesh were circumcised,
- a fact causing some to doubt they were Greek