Poppy tea is a tea brewed from poppy straw or seeds of several species of poppy
- The species most commonly used for this purpose is the opium poppy, Papaver somniferum.
- The tea is consumed for its narcotic, analgesic, anti-diarrhoeal, and/or psychoactive effects
- This tea is depicted both in Asian literature & Western literature, such as in opium dens
- Reputed modern users of poppy-head decoctions (including poppy tea for analgesia) include:
- Otto von Bismarck, Charles Darwin, and Charles Dickens
- It can also be used in small amounts as an analgesic, anti-diarrhoeal, and sedative for many mammals and birds.
( Collapse )