Sotheby's upcoming auction of "Arts of the Islamic World", on April 25 in London, features
- an exceptional late 18th-century erotic Ottoman manuscript.
- It's a rare and remarkable piece that certainly rewards close inspection.
- To study and scrutinise the erotic manuscripts of the Ottoman Empire is, even to our worldly eyes,
- to enter a strange and occasionally shocking universe.
- Imagine how it appeared to those early western travellers, who experienced some of the practices described in those richly illustrated texts at first hand.
( Collapse )