If you’ve ever shopped for T-shirts at a beach or resort,
- you have probably seen one that proclaims:
- “THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES”
--- It may or may not include a drawing of a pirate.
--- Or a skull and crossbones.
- It’s funny the first couple of times you see it.
- But when it becomes a way of life, not so much.
‘The beatings will continue until morale improves’
- is a famous quotation of unknown origin.
- It literally denotes how morale, such as within a military unit or other hierarchical environment, will be improved through the use of punishment
- More importantly, the phrase is used sarcastically to indicate:
1. the counter-productive nature of such punishment or
2. excessive control over subordinates such as
--- staff in the workplace or
--- children living at home.
( Collapse )