Book Title: "Neighbor Law: Fences, Trees, Boundaries & Noise"
(5th Edition) (Paperback) by Cora Jordan (Author)
Los Angeles Times
"A great Nolo book that gives practical, no-nonsense approaches to handling neighbor disputes."
"This classic book, which keeps getting better with each new edition, answers virtually all questions regarding fences, boundaries and noise."
"Jordan peppers the book with real stories of problems neighbors have with each other. The stories are interesting and hilarious."
Is a neighboring business driving you crazy? Too much noise from next door? Run-off from up the hill threatening to drown your yard?
Learn your rights and responsibilities with Neighbor Law, Nolo's clear-cut, comprehensive guide to the laws concerning common neighbor disputes.
The popular bestseller covers:
* blocked views
* water issues
* neighborhood businesses
* dangers to children
* and more
In plain English, Neighbor Law explains how to find the law in each circumstance and resolve disputes outside the court -- but if you must go to small claims court, this popular book gives you the information you need.
The 5th edition is completely revised and now provides a new information on disputes about second-hand smoke. It also has a new chapter on researching the law online.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Neighbors and Legal Questions
1. Tackling a Neighbor Problem [Get Prepared -- Approach the Neighbor -- Turn to the Authorities for Help -- Try Mediation -- Take the Neighbor to Court]
2. Noise [Laws Against Noise -- What to Do]
3. When a Tree Is Injured or Destroyed [Who Owns a Tree? -- An Owner's Rights When a Tree Is Damaged -- What the Tree Owner Can Sue For -- Criminal Penalties -- What to Do If a Neighbor Damages Your Tree -- Preventing Damage]
4. Encroachment: Invading Branches and Roots [Looking for Help -- Trimming a Neighbor's Tree: The Right of Self-Help -- When a Neighbor Can Sue -- Going to Court]
5. Unsound Limbs and Trees [Getting Help From the City Government -- Trimming a Neighbor's Tree: The Right of Self-Help -- Ask the Owner to Trim the Tree -- Suing to Prevent Damage -- Homeowners' Insurance -- After Damage From an Unsound Tree]
6. Boundary Trees [Ownership -- Co-Owners' Responsibilities -- Damage to or Removal of a Boundary Tree]
7. Fruit and Nuts: Who Owns What? [Who Owns the Tree? -- Fruit That Has Fallen -- Avoiding Problems]
8. Obstruction of View [The Basic Rule: No Right to a View -- View Ordinances -- Subdivision Rules That Protect Views -- Other Laws That May Protect Views -- Views That Are Not Legally Protected -- Avoiding View Problems]
9. Boundary Lines [Settling Uncertain Boundary Lines -- When a Neighbor Doesn't Honor the Boundary]
10. Using Another's Land: Trespass and Easements [Trespassers -- Who Become Owners Easements]
11. Fences [Rural Areas: Fencing Livestock In or Out -- Urban Fences -- Property Line (Boundary) Fences -- Disputes Over Boundaries -- Sharing a Fence That Is Not on the Boundary]
12. Spite Fences [General Restrictions on Fence Height -- What Is a Spite Fence? -- Negotiating With the Neighbor Going to Court]
13. Dangers to Children: Attractive Nuisances [The Attractive Nuisance Doctrine -- Taking Necessary Precautions -- Seeking Legal Help]
14. Rural Neighbors and the Right to Farm [Ordinary Nuisance Rules -- Right-to-Farm Laws -- What Neighbors Can Do]
15. Water [When the Neighbor Is Liable for Damage -- When the Neighbor May Not Be Liable for Damage -- What the Neighbor at Fault Must Pay For -- What to Do If You Suffer Water Damage -- Rights to Water]
16. When Your Neighbor Is a Business [Zoning Laws -- Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions -- Home-Based Businesses -- Other Laws Protecting You and Your Property -- Expect a Compromise -- What to Do When the Law Favors You -- When the Law Favors the Business]
17. Other Common Neighbor Disputes [Blighted Property -- Weeds, Rubbish, and Garbage -- Loud and Offensive Language -- Drug Dealers -- Animal Problems -- Second-Hand Smoke Vehicles -- Outdoor Lights]
18. Legal Research [Local Laws -- State Statutes -- Case Law]
19. Mediation [What Is Mediation? -- How to Find a Mediator -- How Mediation Works]
20. Small Claims Court [What Is Small Claims Court? -- Preparing for Small Claims Court -- How Small Claims Court Works]
1. State Statutes on Injury to Trees
2. State Statutes on Private Nuisance
3. Boundary Fence Statutes
4. Adverse Possession Statutes
5. Right-to-Farm Statutes
From the Back Cover: "Neighbors -- They wouldn't be so bad if they didn't live next door..."
Everything you need to resolve disputes with your neighbor, in or out of court.
About the Author:
Cora Miner Jordan earned her law degree at the University of Mississippi. A trained mediator, she is the author of "Neighbor Law: Fences, Trees, Boundaries and Noise" and co-author of "Plan Your Estate".