- Retirees in good health face higher lifetime health care costs than those in poor health.
- A typical healthy couple at age 65 can expect to spend $260,000 with a 5% risk of exceeding $570,000.
- A typical unhealthy couple can expect to spend $220,000 with a 5% risk of exceeding $465,000.
- Those in good health live longer, eventually become less healthy, and often need nursing home care.
- So the healthy, who delay buying Medigap or long-term care insurance, could face much higher premiums later