... these mechanisms, whatever their purpose, are no accident:
- they become more complex, and
- they get as much maintenance and attention as iOS's advertised features,
- as Apple adds new security features, the company is adding ways to circumvent them.
"I am not suggesting some grand conspiracy," Zdziarski clarified in a blog post after his HOPE X talk.
"There are, however, some services running in iOS:
- that shouldn't be there,
- that were intentionally added by Apple as part of the firmware and
- that bypass backup encryption,
- while copying more of your personal data than ever
- should come off the phone for the average consumer."