Why do we get pushed around by them, with the former President of the US George Bush calling it a crusade?!
Why is that Muslim States often depend on the West for survival?
Even Saudi Arabia, the epicenter for Islamic fundamentalism is dependent on American largess for their survival.
While they preach Wahhabi Islam all over the world, they allow American bases within a few hundred kilometers
from the Holiest Shrines of Islam.
There are an estimated 1,476,233,470 Muslims on the face of the planet:
- 1 billion in Asia,
- 400 million in Africa,
- 44 million in Europe and
- 6 million in the Americas.
Every 5th human being is a Muslim:
- for every Hindu there are 2 Muslims,
- for every Buddhist there are 2 Muslims and
- for every Jew there are 100 Muslims.
Ever wondered why Muslims are so powerless?
Here is why:
- there are 57 member-countries of the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC), and
- all of them put together have around 500 universities;
- 1 university for every 3,000,000 Muslims.
- but the United States has 5,758 universities and
- India has 8,407.
In 2004, Shanghai Jiao Tong University compiled an 'Academic Ranking of World Universities', and
- not 1 university from Muslim-majority states was in the top-500.
As per data collected by the UNDP on literacy:
- in the Christian world stands at nearly 90% and
- 15 Christian-majority states have a literacy rate of 100%,
- a Muslim-majority state, as a sharp contrast, has an average literacy rate of around 40% and
- there is 0 Muslim-majority state with a literacy rate of 100%.
- some 98% of the 'literates' in the Christian world had completed primary school, while
- less than 50% of the 'literates' in the Muslim world did the same.
- around 40% of the 'literates' in the Christian world attended university, while
- no more than 2% of the 'literates' in the Muslim world did the same.
Now about the scientists:
- Muslim-majority countries have 230 scientists per 1 million Muslims;
- the US has 4,000 scientists per 1 million and
- Japan has 5,000 per 1 million.
- in the entire Arab world, the total number of full-time researchers is 35,000 and
- there are only 50 technicians per 1 million Arabs.
- in the Christian world there are up to 1,000 technicians per 1 million.
- furthermore, the Muslim world spends 0.2% of its GDP on research and development, while
- the Christian world spends around 5% of its GDP.
Conclusion: The Muslim world lacks the capacity to produce new knowledge!
There are 2 indicators of whether knowledge is being diffused in a society:
- number of daily newspapers per 1,000 people and
- number of book titles per 1 million people.
- in Pakistan, there are 23 daily newspapers per 1,000 Pakistanis, while
- the same ratio in Singapore is 360.
- in the UK, the number of book titles per 1 million people stands at 2,000, while
- the same in Egypt it is 20.
Conclusion: The Muslim world is failing to diffuse available knowledge.
Exports of high technology products as a % of total exports are an important indicator of knowledge application:
- Pakistan's export of high technology products as % of total exports stands at 1%;
- the same for Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Morocco and Algeria are all at 0.3%, while
- Singapore is at 58%.
Conclusion: The Muslim world is failing to apply available knowledge.
So, why are Muslims powerless?
... Because we aren't producing knowledge,
... Because we aren't diffusing knowledge.,
... Because we aren't applying knowledge.
And, the future belongs to knowledge-based societies.
Now, let's look at GDP:
- interestingly, the combined annual GDP of 57 OIC-countries is under $2 trillion;
- America, just by herself, produces goods and services worth $12 trillion;
- China - $8 trillion,
- Japan - $3.8 trillion and
- Germany - $2.4 trillion
(purchasing power parity basis).
- oil rich Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait and Qatar collectively produce goods and services (mostly oil) worth 1/2 trillion;
- Spain alone produces goods and services worth over $1 trillion,
- catholic Poland 1/2 trillion and Buddhist Thailand 1/2 trillion.
- and Muslim GDP as a % of world GDP is fast declining...
So, why are Muslims so powerless?
Answer: Lack of education!
All we do is:
- shouting to Allah the whole day and
- blame everyone else for our multiple failures!
The writer, Dr. Farrukh Saleem is the Pakistani Executive Director of the Centre for Research and Security Studies, a think tank established in 2007 and an Islamabad-based freelance columnist.