Pentagon requested 4 times the amount spent on the so-called European Reassurance Initiative for 2017 FY,
- which covers training and for U.S. and European forces,
- raising the total outlay to $3.4 billion.
- Most of that money, $2 billion, will go toward putting an armored brigade combat team in the region 24/7 on a rotational basis.
- The addition to a Stryker vehicle brigade &
- an infantry brigade already in Europe
- means 3,000 to 5,000 U.S. troops will continually rotate throughout NATO countries, so as
- not to violate the coalition’s charter that prohibits a permanent military presence.