In "The Secret Shame of Middle-Class Americans", published in the May issue of The Atlantic (available at www.theatlantic.com)
- author Neil Garber leads his story with a recent Federal Reserve Board survey that indicates:
- 47% of Americans would have to borrow money to pay for a $400 emergency.
On this astonishing fact he says, “Who knew? – Well, I knew. I knew because I am in that 47 percent"
- Mr. Garber goes on to explain that while he’s had what most consider a successful career as a writer,
- earning a solid middle to upper class income and appearing to be successful
- his financial life is a disaster.
This article nails the problem faced by nearly ½ of our populace