The argument from those who are against internationalism is simple:
- Sometimes the major international systems begin failing
- The less you are entangled with these systems the less damage is done to you
- And given that such systemic failures historically lead to international political conflict and crisis
- the case for nationalism increases
– assuming you aren’t already trapped in the systemic crisis.
... increasing nationalism follows systemic international failure:
- like night follows day