DEARBORN, Mich. (WXYZ) - The newest ABC show "Designated Survivor"
- was actually “Designated Dearborn” Wednesday night for a controversial storyline
- The (ficticious) episode, starring Keifer Sutherland, involves police targeting Muslims on the orders of Michigan's governor
- Early in the show’s 2nd episode, breaking news could be seen in the city of Dearborn.
- Police were rounding up Muslims & implementing a curfew in the predominately Muslim community
- The episode ends with the president stepping in overruling that order
The show left some Arab-American leaders in Dearborn wondering what if?
- “How possible for something like this to happen?
- It is very possible,” said Osama Siblani, publisher of the "Arab-American News"
- Siblani says talk of a scenario like this has elevated since the beginning of the presidential campaign.
- He called the show seen on Wednesday day night "a form of reality"
- “Then you see a reality show like this that reflects the reality of on the ground
- and then people start relating to it” - said Siblani
- “The national debate today surrounding this issue and around this issue is making the whole country nervous
- because it’s not about the truth
- It’s about what you can say in order to get more votes”
- According to Siblani, another reason why this seems possible in the United States
it has happened before:
1. It was a mistake to round up the Japanese & put them in an interment camp
2. It was a mistake to discriminate against Jews
3. It was a mistake to discriminate against blacks
- While Siblani says this is possible, he says:
Muslim-Americans are not afraid of something like this happening
- He believes the constitution protects all Americans but
- adds this episode should show us, who were are fighting against.
- “This episode that I have seen shows clearly that Americans don’t know, who their enemy is” - said Siblani
- “Their enemy is the enemy of humanity & the enemy of the Muslims
- that have killed more Muslims than anybody else
- These are the enemies. Isis is the enemy”