The statement "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"
- is often attributed to Voltaire, the French Enlightenment writer, historian and philosopher.
- In fact, it is something said by Strom in his program,
- "All America Must Know the Terror That is Upon Us" (1993):
- "To determine the true rulers of any society, all you must do is ask yourself this question:
- Who is it that I am not permitted to criticize?"
- The misattributed quotation continues to spread across the Internet