Although Brokaw claims that the generation that fought for US in WW2 was the greatest any society has produced
- militarily this view has not been supported
- "Signficantly less well trained than their [German and Japanese] opponents
- 3 of 4 American soldiers did not shoot to good effect in combat"
"Despite the fact that the US Army was willing to accept virtually anyone:
- over 5 feet tall
- who weighed more than 105 lbs &
- who had 12 or more of his own teeth
40% of US citizens failed these basic criteria"