Gross Domestic Product has become the yardstick by which we measure a country’s success
- But GDP isn’t the best way to measure a good society.
- His alternative?
- The Social Progress Index, which measures things like basic human needs and opportunity.
The Social Progress Index is an aggregate index of social and environmental indicators
- that capture 3 dimensions of social progress
1. Basic Human Needs
2. Foundations of Wellbeing, and
The 2017 Social Progress Index includes data
- from 128 countries on 50 indicators
- Upper Middle Social Progress
- Score - 67.17; Rank - 67
High Social Progress
Score - 86.43; Rank - 18