The competition began nearly 100 years ago
- in Atlantic City, New Jersey,
- as a bathing beauty contest,
- designed to keep tourists coming to the seaside resort the weekend after Labor Day.
But it has run into resistance
- to the swimsuit, and
- to a lesser extent, evening gown competitions, that had come by some to be seen as outdated.
An email scandal last December
- in which former Miss America officials denigrated the intelligence, appearance and sex lives of former title winners
- led to a shake-up at the top, and
- the group’s top three leadership positions are now held by STUPID women.
“We’re not going to judge you on your appearance
- because we are interested in what makes you you,”
- Gretchen Carlson, a former Miss America, who is head of the organization’s board of trustees, said
- while making the announcement Tuesday on “Good Morning America”