A misdiagnosis... happens more often than you probably realize. Statistics vary
1. in outpatient or clinic settings
- 5% of the time (according to 2014 study, published in BMJ Quality and Safety report)
- or about 12 million American adults being misdiagnosed each year.
2. In hospital settings, the problem looms larger
- from 10% to 20% of hospitalized patients are misdiagnosed
--- says Andrew Olson, M.D., an assistant professor at the University of Minnesota Medical School, whose research has centered on improving the diagnostic process.
--- His estimate is based on a variety of studies, including surveys of patients and physicians as well as data from autopsy studies.